Native System Two (NS2)
Low Diversity Prairie
Low Diversity Prairie: This system typifies a standard Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) planting with 6 native species (two grasses, two legumes, and two forbs). This system was established in 1999 and is subdivided into three different management categories: 1) biofuels – harvested once, post frost, 2) grazing – grazed once per season and burned every other spring to minimize cool season grasses, and 3) control – burned every other spring to minimize cool season grasses but never harvested or grazed.
Species Planted 4 June 1999:
- Big Bluestem: Andropogon gerardii Vitman
- Indian Grass: Sorghastrum nutans (L.) Nash
- Round-headed Bush Clover: Lespedeza capitata Michx.
- Tick Trefoil: Desmodium canadense (L.) DC.
- Black-eyed Susan: Rudbeckia hirta L.
- Yellow Coneflower: Ratibida pinnata (Vent.) Barnhart